Skip to main content

-Why Rescue Makes Temp Move Back to So. Florida (08-2024)

 This blog title was so simple to type, much simpler than the process of bringing this planned move into fruition! 


    ~And maybe 50 people read the rescue's blogs, it's certainly not a big audience, but still: even if one person reads it, and it helps that person and/or their pet, then it's worth it.


    Why The Move (broken down into 3 categories):


    1.) For approximately 4 years I worked at Miami Dade Animal Services when I lived in Miami Beach the first time around (circa 2010), mostly via an ASPCA-grant-funded-position which was aimed at increasing our live release rate… which I did quite well, but boy it was a lot of work! 

    Because of my time working in animal welfare while in Miami, I have some great rescue contacts there.

    And I’ve always wanted to get Paw and Feather Plan ‘rooted’ in South Florida… where the idea for this rescue was born. 

  

    I know several individuals in and around Miami that could serve as temporary or permanent pet caregivers- a primary goal of this rescue has always been to help not only as many pets as possible, but also as many people as possible via our unique business model.


    There are pet owners and pets everywhere that can benefit from PAFP's service, and our strong rescue network in Miami makes it an optimal 'next place' to get the word out on the importance of pets in planning


    2.)The more maturely-aged population of S. Florida also fits well with the rescue’s mission and business model of pets in planning.


    3.) Here in Louisville I’m bombarded with calls and emails daily from people wanting to surrender or re-home their pets, pets of family members… neighborhood strays… you name it. It’s a lot.  And 'helping everyone wanting to get rid of pets' was never this rescue's mission.

    And I’m strong, I say ‘no, I cannot, I’m one person with one small foster-based rescue,’ to many individuals, however, sometimes of course I do say yes (how could I not?), especially when requests come from ‘friends of friends,’ or when ppl are ‘recommended' by someone,’ which happens way more often than I’d like.  -And even with helping maybe 30% of the people that reach out, because that's all I can do, it still adds up to be a lot. 

    I’ve been trying very hard for more than a year now to steer away from this ‘day-to-day-grind’ of rescue work ... because it can absolutely burn you out. However, it’s hard when those calls and emails keep coming in. -This move should help tremendously with stopping this trajectory so I can focus more on the why I started this rescue in the first place: pets in planning.  -There are ideas I've had over the years regarding pets in planning that I just haven't had time to implement due to: the day to day grind of rescue work, raising a child, and having a part time job as a substitute teacher (I'll be subbing in Miami too! I love being a sub (on most days), and need the income).  Anyhow, being 'away,' starting anew somewhere else, will hopefully give me that space and time to bring some of these special ideas into fruition.          ~I'm so looking forward to this aspect of the move (definitely more than the 16 hour U-Haul drive)!






Nip It In the Bud~ No Room for Misconceptions:


       -In 2014 we moved to Louisville for all the typical reasons: more job opportunities here for Fabricio, family support with a new baby via my family (Fab's familia e maravilhosa but they're in Brasil), and the lower cost of living- we were able to rent a little house with a yard here in Louisville (before buying a home) opposed to living in a 1 bdrm. apt there in Miami.  

     Also, in Miami both of us needed to work, and though I hadn't really thought it through while I was pregnant with Sam, once he was born and in my arms, a 100% breastfed baby, I knew there was no way I was going back to work after just 3 months with him.  -I wanted to raise my baby, my kid.  And that's a decision I'll never regret, even though at times I felt like I was losing my mind (only some - or maybe all ?- stay-at-home-moms understand this), and even though it naturally set my professional-trajectory off course... and what a blessing was that?! 

     -On a vacation to Cozumel circa 2013 I was reading a motivational book, and it worked... it gave me that oomph needed to take Paw and Feather Plan from just an idea to a legitimate, established, tax-paying business (started as an LLC, 2 years in transitioned to a 501c3- I did all the paperwork on my own, and yes I'm proud of that 😊!). 

    So... fast forward 10 years and we know it's time to go back, at least for several months.  We cannot, nor do we want to, stay permanently in So. Florida- we have too many good commitments via this rescue here, and too much of a positive foundation in Ky.; we are happy here.  This will remain indefinitely our 'home,' and this rescue's 'base.' (So please don't worry 'plan clients in Ky., you're good!)

    ~Why did I use the word, 'misconceptions'  in that recent heading then?~

    I've shared with very few people that this move has been in the works for several months.  And even from those very few people I've had kneejerk responses like, 'must be nice,' or 'wow, and South Beach is so expensive,' or 'you're going to be on vacation for like 6 months, that's awesome,' or, 'that's too much work for just a few months of living there...' these responses didn't sit well with me.  Note: I've also had very positive responses to this decision from a couple of individuals, particularly those with the last name beginning with a 'B.' 



    What I thought about these so-so comments on the move...

    'Must be Nice?' -Yeah, I think it will not only be nice, but rather, amazing.  And it's our divine right as humans to live out amazing lives, in every way possible. 

    'SoBe is expensive-' true.  Does that mean we're wealthy because we can move back there? -Nope (and if we were, so what?!).  We're a family of 3 living on less than $63,000/year.  -We're frugal.  We travel with miles when we vacation (this is an art in and of itself- let me know if you want a link to apply for a travel credit card btw), we drive a 15 year old car, yep, just one car, with liability-only insurance, I shop for clothes primarily at the goodwill, and we eat out typically no more than once/week.  
    This past spring the majority of our tax refund went towards this 'planned temporary move.'  I share all of this because 1.) I'm proud of the fact we're excellent money managers and 2.) to inspire others to take action towards making your dreams a reality... don't listen to what other people will say you 'can and cannot do!'  -One great tip to help accomplish this in and of itself: don't tell people what you have in the works until it's absolutely necessary! 

    'Vacation for 6 months?!' -not everyone that lives in touristy-areas 'lives like they're on vacation constantly,' (but it is a lot of fun!).  We will be working.  Fab works remote for Humana as a claims processor, and, as mentioned, I'll be subbing.  Sam will attend a public school there on the beach. 

    'Too much work for such a short time, relatively-speaking?'  -This could be true for many, but not for me.  And yes, it has been a ton of work.  I've listed our little house here on Furnished Finder, secured a tenant, found us a place to live down there (studio apt in 33139 very close to Flamingo Park), 'almost' gotten my child enrolled in the Miami Dade Public School of our choice (just waiting on that lease as proof of address), have been packing little by little for weeks, and preparing our home for our first-ever mid-term-rental (think painting trim to get everything looking super fresh, deep cleaning closet space, etc.) … so exciting!  So much planning has gone into this temp move, and there's been a learning curve along the way more than once... which I love...  I love a challenge.  -And we're just so excited.

    Fab and I both adore SoBe.  We have many great, simple, sweet memories there, and our kid has heard many of them.  Now we'll be able to share the South Beach Living Experience with him in person.  



this is a really fun, quick list-read of great things about SoBe...
Enjoy this blog 'list of what to love about SoBe' (written 12 years ago!) to get excited with us about this temporary move! SoBe: https://plethoraofeverything.blogspot.com/2012/10/22-things-to-love-about-south-beach.html


And here's one from 11 years ago.  I know what full blown burnout feels likes guys, and it's a place I never want to go back to, as it can be very dangerous: https://plethoraofeverything.blogspot.com/2013/04/burnout.html 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Policy Changes Affecting Individuals Requesting Rehoming Assistance from PAFP (changes do not affect our pet plan clients)

      As of 01/31/2024 these are PAFP's new SOPs (last revised on 02/13/2024):     -As PAFP currently has a hospice foster that did belong to a plan client, the rescue isn't able to take in other fosters at this time for the most part.      -The rescue  tries to pull/rescue pets from our high intake municipal shelter, Louisville Metro Animal Services, exclusively .  The rescue pulls pets only when we have a confirmed, volunteer foster home for pets.       -Any rehome cases we do take on will be charged a rate of $17/hour, and the ability to pay the $17/hour is not a guarantee we'll be able to 'say yes' to your particular rehome case.  Additional Notes in Regards to these New Standard Operating Procedures:     In a continued and consistent effort to remain as transparent as possible for the rescue's small-but-mighty following, I offer detailed explanations on the why of each of the above new procedures, implemented immediately:     -Our hospice  foster is So

Sweet Pea and the Big Egg She Couldn't Pass (Egg-Bound)

  " What makes you think she's egg-bound?" asked Michelle, an avian vet tech at Shively Animal Hospital.     "She's been lethargic, she's grunting, straining, pushing off and on, has had diarrhea, been constipated, and her lower belly is hard and swollen," I answered, holding back tears. Sweet Pea and me last week     I knew this was serious, potentially fatal, to the macaw the rescue took in just 6 weeks prior.     "Dr. Mary Jane wants to know what you guys have been doing at home that could make her want to lay an egg, and become egg-bound," was Michelle's next question.  Sweet Pea on top of her cage, last week     The question could've surprised, and even offended me, had I not already asked myself that very same thing.       Upon suspecting Sweet Pea was egg bound, I quickly took to (reliable sources) on the internet, and reviewed symptoms, causes and treatment for the condition.  I rapidly confirmed she had virtually every symptom