Skip to main content

Short Case Study: Jill, One Example of a Great Pack Leader

Jill and Todd are the PAFP adopters of Gracie, a 1 year old Bichon Frise.  They also own a purebred 4 year old Rottweiler, George.  

They adopted George from Metro Animal Services after he had been at the shelter for a month, and before that, he had been at another more rural shelter for some time as well.  


When George first went home with Jill and Todd, he had some undesirable tendencies that needed to be addressed. 


When I went to process the adoption for little Gracie, at Jill and Todd's home, Jill shared with me a short, great-pack-leader story. 


Here it is, in Jill's (paraphrased) words:


    It was probably just a few days after we adopted George, when         one day I gave him a pig ear.  He was laying on his dog bed               enjoying the treat, when I had to enter that vicinity for something.     -George growled at me, as if to say, 'don't come near me and my         treat.''   


    This dog could kill me if he wanted to, crossed through my                  mind, but my irritation with the fact that he had growled at me            took over, and I just reached down, and firmly took that pig ear          from his mouth, saying, "No!

    Then I put the pig ear on top of the mantle, near his dog bed so          he'd be able to see it and smell it, all day.  


    After that, he never growled at me again.  He knew who was boss.



~Is not a picture worth a 1000 words?!


    ~They key to the successful outcome in this situation was Jill's instinctive, firm response... that, 'oh no you didn't m.f.,' feeling she was able to harness and relay to George as she took the pig ear from his enormous mouth (this is a 120 lb. dog we're taking about!) was key. 


    One should never attempt taking a treat from a growling dog unless one is 100% in 'pack leader zone.'  Animals are far more adept at sensing fear and hesitation than humans are, so sincerity in action and application is crucial.


    When adopters call me with issues of dogs acting out and not being respectful, I always give a 'pack leader pep talk.'  

    I emphasize finding and tuning into that 'inner, innate leader' we all have somewhere inside of us.  

    Working with dogs, if you want to do it right at least, forces you to tap into that side of yourself, that we otherwise may not get to utilize often in the modern world.  

    There are exceptions of course: nurses have to tap into their 'calm, inner leader' constantly, teachers too, business executives also I guess, attorneys... but what's interesting is: just because someone has to turn on their inner pack leader at work doesn't mean they're necessarily able to turn it on with their pets!   -Some people absolutely melt in their dog's presence.  We just love them so much, and the pet triggers relaxation and love endorphins in most minds.     

    But there must be that balance.  


    One last noteworthy point: in George's case, his recognition that he wasn't running the show, nor would he be, was pretty instantaneous.  Most of the time, that's not the case.  It's usually more of a 'work in progress,' so don't get discouraged!

-As Cesar Millan best puts it, "Dogs need rules, boundaries and limitations."


Frankie and Gracie just hanging out



P.S.  I've been wanting to create new rescue blog posts once/weekly or biweekly for years now, but haven't had the time.  I have no shortage of content ideas~ time has been the issue.  With adoptions being so slow right now, a couple of my regular fosters taking breaks, and having Dee help out as the rescue's 1st p.t., temp employee (thanks to the Give for Good campaign), I'm hoping I can start making more posts.  Thank You. JLP




    


    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did We Get Here? Rescues and Shelters Everywhere Overwhelmed, Beyond Capacity

 Early on in the pandemic, circa summer 2019, an acquaintance reached out to me. "Hola Jessica.  I'm wondering if you have any dog I can foster now.  We're working from home due to the pandemic and I'm in my condo alone all the time." said pseudo-name-Sally .  "Wow, that's incredible Sally that you want to foster now?! -After all these years of me trying to get you to foster here and there, now you're able and willing?! That's great... but believe it or not, we don't have any dog to foster at this very instant.  With Covid, it's like everyone and everyone's brother needs a dog all of the sudden," I shared.  -Lastly I  added that I'd keep her in mind as a foster.  Silly Julie, she's the cutest, right?!      Within a couple of weeks of that phone call, I did find a dog for pseudo-name-Sally to foster, however, by then her boss had 'lent her' her own dog so she wouldn't be so lonely.       ( The last time I saw &#

Give For Good Louisville Annual Fundraiser Recap (GFG Feels A Lot Like Playing the Lottery)

 - And I don't play the lottery.   While I don't judge others for gambling ( most everyone has his or her vices and/or diversions ), I for one don't gamble.       OK, you'll catch me buying a scratch off  maybe twice a year, when I've received birthday money   for example.   And naturally, it's rare that I win.  And when I have won, it's never been for more than $20.00.        That's all fine and well.  It's no big deal, but for the fact that I don't like it.    I'm a very passionate and engaged human being, so it's in my nature to 'go there' quickly and with an almost-pre-conceived notion that, 'I'm gonna win.'   If I'm scratching off for a potential $20,000 grand prize, try as I may to reel myself in, I'm seeing myself winning that $20,000 prize as I scratch away ~not the $20 one.        Then the let down is so... disappointing .  It's so icky to feel like you've lost, when you've invested time,

What Does Having a Non Profit Business Really Mean? ~Read on to Find Out!

This is a big one; it's a big topic that I'll try to simplify and clarify for the reader as much as possible.      The  Wikipedia  Legal Definition of a nonprofit is a good place to start: a legal entity organized and operated for a collective, public or social benefit, in contrary with an entity that operates as a business aiming to generate a profit for its owners.       That seems pretty clear, right?  -While the basic definition of a nonprofit isn't particularly confusing or convoluted, it somehow lends itself to so many misconceptions, misinterpretations and misunderstandings.       That in and of itself is part of why I wanted to blog on this topic.      So, according to the above definition a nonprofit must exist to serve some positive social purpose, right?   -That is right, but let's not forget that the positive impact of a nonprofit can be highly focused and concentrated on a teeny-tiny fragment of the general population.      Here's an example of that: