Skip to main content

5 Ways PAFP Rescue Regularly and Gratuitously Helps in Our Community! #giveforgoodlou

 This document highlights some of Paw and Feather Plan's work, and how it positively impacts the lives pets and people in and around the community, and abroad (Brazil shelter once/yearly, etc.). 

I do hope this list motivates individuals to donate $10< on 09/15/2022 for Give for Good Day. 😊  


This is a big day not only for this rescue, but also for 500+ other nonprofits across Louisville.  There will be many random BOOSTS to donations throughout the day via several Community Foundation Sponsors... so please participate! 


If you don't donate, there'll be nothing to boost. And if you do donate, your $10 could instantaneously become $1010!  #LiveGenerously #InstantKarma 





List of 6 Ways We Help Out On the Regular:


1.) Free counseling services (typically via email or phone, these can be quite lengthy calls!) to pet owners in distress, wanting or needing to surrender pets. 

    -On average I assist 4 people/weekly with this gratuitous service.  I cannot help everyone that reaches out.  Sometimes we help rehome the pets as a rescue, other times, and ideally, we advise on what to do to keep the pet(s), or on how to secure a new, loving home for a pet. 


2.)  Louisville Metro Animal Services is our city's only open-intake animal shelter.  We're a rescue partner in great standing with LMAS.  Not only do I rescue dogs from the shelter, I also volunteer there to socialize dogs when as time permits. We also partner with Bullitt Co. Animal Services, which is equally-as-awesome. :)

    -This number varies month to month, but I'd say we average 'pulling' 4 at-need dogs from Metro monthly.  I hope to start to rescue more cats too, but cats typically take a long time to adopt out, and with the TNR program, it hasn't felt 'as urgent.'  (I was happy to donate to LMAS's Give for Good campaign this a.m. too of course!)


3.) Pay for vet services for low income pet owners and help other reputable pet rescues 

    -This is sporadic, but off hand I recall paying for a kitten's vetting (spay, shots), and donating several bags of dog food to another excellent in-state pet rescue when I had plenty of dog food, and they had run out, in the past 2 months.  I also supported Phoenix Landing Bird Rescue by attending their Parrot Retreat in June.  -This helps them, and of course helps me... learn SO MUCH more about our feathered friends, and how to better care for them when they come to PAFP. I love partnering with other awesome nonprofits and/or pet-related businesses!


4.)  Dog Training and Psychology 

    -While I'm not professionally trained as a dog trainer, I've been training dogs, or helping rehabilitate them, as Cesar says, since 2007.  I've helped dozens of damaged dogs 'come around,' especially in my shelter days (as an employee).  This is still one of my favorite aspects of rescue, as it's most rewarding to see a dog go from untrusting to trusting, pissing all over a house to going 'potty outside only,' from being a darter to checking in with me to assure she's still 'being a good girl,' from growling to... growling less 😂, and the list could go on!  


5.)  This rescue initiated to offer pet owners a safe, reliable place to whom to bequeath pets in life and death docs.  

However, most people don't find the rescue until an owner has already passed, and pets aren't in the death plans, and there are zero provisions. 

    -Whenever possible, we help out anyway!  At least a half a dozen pets that weren't in owner's death plans have come to us following an owner's death (all of this has been documented and shared over the past 4 years via the rescue's Facebook page). 


6.)  Free Help for Pet Owners Who Need it Most (the sick or elderly), by Doing Everything from Courtesy Walks to a Ride to SNIP Clinic...

   -This can be hard, but it's just the right thing to do.  And I've learned that, once someone's gone, you always wish you would've/could've done more, and you never regret the time you spent with someone during his or her most challenging of times.  

    -For example, we currently have an adopter that's fallen ill, is on oxygen, and with several health complications.  I check in with her regularly, go by to see her and walk her dog, and will continue to do so.  Her dog, who can be a bit of a challenge, has found her 'purpose' in life by accompanying her beloved owner day and night as her loyal companion.  ~We gave that to someone.  ~And we stand by it.  ~This is awesome work.  And we're grateful you'll consider supporting it on 09/15/2022 for #GiveforGoodLou... think boost, boost, boost!!



Participate by Donating Here: https://www.giveforgoodlouisville.org/organizations/the-paw-and-feather-plan-inc During Give for Good Louisville via This Link on 09/15/22. 


Money raised will help pay for basic costs of running the rescue AND will hopefully allow us to hire a temporary, awesome, much-needed, animal-loving, part-time helper! 

If we hit the BIG BOOST during the GREATEST 2 MINS of GIVING between 7:10-7:12 p.m., we'll pay LOCAL company to CONCRETE our foster-dog-play-area! Think #boost! 





https://www.giveforgoodlouisville.org/organizations/the-paw-and-feather-plan-inc use this link to donate #pleaseandthankyou





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to The Paw and Feather Plan's Blog!

WELCOME TO THE PAW AND FEATHER PLAN'S BLOG!     I am so grateful the seed was planted in my mind to start a blog for my business. It only makes sense since: I love to write and am PASSIONATE about 'my other baby,' The Paw and Feather Plan LLC. Why on earth do I refer to my business as 'my other baby?!'  Because, like a human baby, a business must be nurtured daily in order to grow.  And to nurture a business daily you must be passionate about your business... and that I am! So, this blog is another tool in my toolbox, one I can use to nurture my business by getting the word out about the service we provide!   I also envision it becoming a helpful resource for pet owners on an array of pet-related issues.  I believe wholeheartedly the service we provide is vital for many pet owners and pets, around the country, and around the world. Therefore it's my God-given-duty to spread the word as far and wide as possible about what we do a...

Not All That Seek to Rehome a Pet... are Willing to Lift a Finger

  Funny title huh? Funny life sometimes, funny people sometimes...      On the same day this week, I had 2 different cat owners reach out to me for assistance with rehoming their respective cats.      The first, a young lady had sent a brief email on Sunday that went like this (literally copied and pasted here):   Help to re-home my mom cat Your message:   Hello my name is Summer and my mom has cancer and no longer can take care of her cat As you may notice, there's no info about the cat, no picture, and no contact number. -So I emailed her back, requesting a pic of the cat, and her phone number. -She sent me the info., and followed up later on Sunday evening, asking when I'd call her. ~So there was an implied sense of urgency to the situation. I nicely responded that I'd call her on Monday morning (I try very hard to not do too much rescue stuff on Sundays) to explain how we could help out in this particular situation. Here's the swe...

Should Pure-Bred Puppies Cost More Than Rescue Puppies?

 "$300?! If the Humane Society's charging that much for puppies people will just pay a little more and go buy from a breeder!" While I'm embarrassed to admit it, those words came out of my mouth just a few years ago.     Why did I think that way?      Maybe I was spoiled by our low adoption fees from my time working at the municipal shelter in Miami ($65/dog adoptions, $35/2 for 1 cat adoptions and 1/2 off adoptions every Wednesday).     Maybe I thought a 'non-profit' shouldn't be charging so much, weren't they a charity after all?     Maybe I was sincerely worried a lot of people would say, "If I have to pay that much for a mutt, I might as well go by the purebred (insert your favorite breed) I've always wanted."    I'm a "rescued is my favorite breed" person through and through.  But I know that not everyone is. And that's o.k.  -But it took me a long time to 'get there'; I used to not even be able to befriend...