Skip to main content

5 Ways PAFP Rescue Regularly and Gratuitously Helps in Our Community! #giveforgoodlou

 This document highlights some of Paw and Feather Plan's work, and how it positively impacts the lives pets and people in and around the community, and abroad (Brazil shelter once/yearly, etc.). 

I do hope this list motivates individuals to donate $10< on 09/15/2022 for Give for Good Day. 😊  


This is a big day not only for this rescue, but also for 500+ other nonprofits across Louisville.  There will be many random BOOSTS to donations throughout the day via several Community Foundation Sponsors... so please participate


If you don't donate, there'll be nothing to boost. And if you do donate, your $10 could instantaneously become $1010!  #LiveGenerously #InstantKarma 





List of 6 Ways We Help Out On the Regular:


1.) Free counseling services (typically via email or phone, these can be quite lengthy calls!) to pet owners in distress, wanting or needing to surrender pets. 

    -On average I assist 4 people/weekly with this gratuitous service.  I cannot help everyone that reaches out.  Sometimes we help rehome the pets as a rescue, other times, and ideally, we advise on what to do to keep the pet(s), or on how to secure a new, loving home for a pet. 


2.)  Louisville Metro Animal Services is our city's only open-intake animal shelter.  We're a rescue partner in great standing with LMAS.  Not only do I rescue dogs from the shelter, I also volunteer there to socialize dogs when as time permits. We also partner with Bullitt Co. Animal Services, which is equally-as-awesome. :)

    -This number varies month to month, but I'd say we average 'pulling' 4 at-need dogs from Metro monthly.  I hope to start to rescue more cats too, but cats typically take a long time to adopt out, and with the TNR program, it hasn't felt 'as urgent.'  (I was happy to donate to LMAS's Give for Good campaign this a.m. too of course!)


3.) Pay for vet services for low income pet owners and help other reputable pet rescues 

    -This is sporadic, but off hand I recall paying for a kitten's vetting (spay, shots), and donating several bags of dog food to another excellent in-state pet rescue when I had plenty of dog food, and they had run out, in the past 2 months.  I also supported Phoenix Landing Bird Rescue by attending their Parrot Retreat in June.  -This helps them, and of course helps me... learn SO MUCH more about our feathered friends, and how to better care for them when they come to PAFP. I love partnering with other awesome nonprofits and/or pet-related businesses!


4.)  Dog Training and Psychology 

    -While I'm not professionally trained as a dog trainer, I've been training dogs, or helping rehabilitate them, as Cesar says, since 2007.  I've helped dozens of damaged dogs 'come around,' especially in my shelter days (as an employee).  This is still one of my favorite aspects of rescue, as it's most rewarding to see a dog go from untrusting to trusting, pissing all over a house to going 'potty outside only,' from being a darter to checking in with me to assure she's still 'being a good girl,' from growling to... growling less 😂, and the list could go on!  


5.)  This rescue initiated to offer pet owners a safe, reliable place to whom to bequeath pets in life and death docs.  

However, most people don't find the rescue until an owner has already passed, and pets aren't in the death plans, and there are zero provisions. 

    -Whenever possible, we help out anyway!  At least a half a dozen pets that weren't in owner's death plans have come to us following an owner's death (all of this has been documented and shared over the past 4 years via the rescue's Facebook page). 


6.)  Free Help for Pet Owners Who Need it Most (the sick or elderly), by Doing Everything from Courtesy Walks to a Ride to SNIP Clinic...

   -This can be hard, but it's just the right thing to do.  And I've learned that, once someone's gone, you always wish you would've/could've done more, and you never regret the time you spent with someone during his or her most challenging of times.  

    -For example, we currently have an adopter that's fallen ill, is on oxygen, and with several health complications.  I check in with her regularly, go by to see her and walk her dog, and will continue to do so.  Her dog, who can be a bit of a challenge, has found her 'purpose' in life by accompanying her beloved owner day and night as her loyal companion.  ~We gave that to someone.  ~And we stand by it.  ~This is awesome work.  And we're grateful you'll consider supporting it on 09/15/2022 for #GiveforGoodLou... think boost, boost, boost!!



Participate by Donating Here: https://www.giveforgoodlouisville.org/organizations/the-paw-and-feather-plan-inc During Give for Good Louisville via This Link on 09/15/22. 


Money raised will help pay for basic costs of running the rescue AND will hopefully allow us to hire a temporary, awesome, much-needed, animal-loving, part-time helper! 

If we hit the BIG BOOST during the GREATEST 2 MINS of GIVING between 7:10-7:12 p.m., we'll pay LOCAL company to CONCRETE our foster-dog-play-area! Think #boost! 





https://www.giveforgoodlouisville.org/organizations/the-paw-and-feather-plan-inc use this link to donate #pleaseandthankyou





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did We Get Here? Rescues and Shelters Everywhere Overwhelmed, Beyond Capacity

 Early on in the pandemic, circa summer 2019, an acquaintance reached out to me. "Hola Jessica.  I'm wondering if you have any dog I can foster now.  We're working from home due to the pandemic and I'm in my condo alone all the time." said pseudo-name-Sally .  "Wow, that's incredible Sally that you want to foster now?! -After all these years of me trying to get you to foster here and there, now you're able and willing?! That's great... but believe it or not, we don't have any dog to foster at this very instant.  With Covid, it's like everyone and everyone's brother needs a dog all of the sudden," I shared.  -Lastly I  added that I'd keep her in mind as a foster.  Silly Julie, she's the cutest, right?!      Within a couple of weeks of that phone call, I did find a dog for pseudo-name-Sally to foster, however, by then her boss had 'lent her' her own dog so she wouldn't be so lonely.       ( The last time I saw &#

Give For Good Louisville Annual Fundraiser Recap (GFG Feels A Lot Like Playing the Lottery)

 - And I don't play the lottery.   While I don't judge others for gambling ( most everyone has his or her vices and/or diversions ), I for one don't gamble.       OK, you'll catch me buying a scratch off  maybe twice a year, when I've received birthday money   for example.   And naturally, it's rare that I win.  And when I have won, it's never been for more than $20.00.        That's all fine and well.  It's no big deal, but for the fact that I don't like it.    I'm a very passionate and engaged human being, so it's in my nature to 'go there' quickly and with an almost-pre-conceived notion that, 'I'm gonna win.'   If I'm scratching off for a potential $20,000 grand prize, try as I may to reel myself in, I'm seeing myself winning that $20,000 prize as I scratch away ~not the $20 one.        Then the let down is so... disappointing .  It's so icky to feel like you've lost, when you've invested time,

What Does Having a Non Profit Business Really Mean? ~Read on to Find Out!

This is a big one; it's a big topic that I'll try to simplify and clarify for the reader as much as possible.      The  Wikipedia  Legal Definition of a nonprofit is a good place to start: a legal entity organized and operated for a collective, public or social benefit, in contrary with an entity that operates as a business aiming to generate a profit for its owners.       That seems pretty clear, right?  -While the basic definition of a nonprofit isn't particularly confusing or convoluted, it somehow lends itself to so many misconceptions, misinterpretations and misunderstandings.       That in and of itself is part of why I wanted to blog on this topic.      So, according to the above definition a nonprofit must exist to serve some positive social purpose, right?   -That is right, but let's not forget that the positive impact of a nonprofit can be highly focused and concentrated on a teeny-tiny fragment of the general population.      Here's an example of that: