Skip to main content

Weekly Sweet Pea Update

Sweet Pea is doing well.  She loves having company over and meeting new people!


    This week (after all of our quarantine stuff was finally over!) my mother, grandmother and sister came over for our son's birthday.  She was the life of the party, and insisted on hanging out on my mother's arm for a while! 


    She also met a family of puppy adopters, and one of the PAFP fosters, Elizabeth (she sat on her arm too!). 


   I am delighted that she takes so well to new people.  Birds have a reputation for being very loyal to just one person (my lovebird certainly is that way)...

    but all birds are different, and Sweet Pea's proving to be a social butterfly- this should help her when she needs to transition to an adopter's home. 


Party Animal, Sweet Pea! 


    She didn't go to the vet for her injection this past week because Dr. Mary Jane was at a conference all week.  We plan to take her to Shively tomorrow.  During the visit I hope to ask, 'what's next?' in regards to her treatment-intervention-plan for plucking, since she is definitely still plucking. 


Knowing she's still plucking, even though we're doing 'everything right,' and that we do love her, has been very hard.


    However, I remind myself to not take it personally.  I'm in a Facebook support group for owners of plucking-birds, and I've become more involved in a few other bird groups online; forming a community of helpful, knowledgeable people on this issue helps. 


   Since it's late, and I'm tired, I'll add to this post later (I'll get pics my mom or Elizabeth took with her to add), and/or will write more next week! 


Thank You!


Jessica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did We Get Here? Rescues and Shelters Everywhere Overwhelmed, Beyond Capacity

 Early on in the pandemic, circa summer 2019, an acquaintance reached out to me. "Hola Jessica.  I'm wondering if you have any dog I can foster now.  We're working from home due to the pandemic and I'm in my condo alone all the time." said pseudo-name-Sally .  "Wow, that's incredible Sally that you want to foster now?! -After all these years of me trying to get you to foster here and there, now you're able and willing?! That's great... but believe it or not, we don't have any dog to foster at this very instant.  With Covid, it's like everyone and everyone's brother needs a dog all of the sudden," I shared.  -Lastly I  added that I'd keep her in mind as a foster.  Silly Julie, she's the cutest, right?!      Within a couple of weeks of that phone call, I did find a dog for pseudo-name-Sally to foster, however, by then her boss had 'lent her' her own dog so she wouldn't be so lonely.       ( The last time I saw &#

Give For Good Louisville Annual Fundraiser Recap (GFG Feels A Lot Like Playing the Lottery)

 - And I don't play the lottery.   While I don't judge others for gambling ( most everyone has his or her vices and/or diversions ), I for one don't gamble.       OK, you'll catch me buying a scratch off  maybe twice a year, when I've received birthday money   for example.   And naturally, it's rare that I win.  And when I have won, it's never been for more than $20.00.        That's all fine and well.  It's no big deal, but for the fact that I don't like it.    I'm a very passionate and engaged human being, so it's in my nature to 'go there' quickly and with an almost-pre-conceived notion that, 'I'm gonna win.'   If I'm scratching off for a potential $20,000 grand prize, try as I may to reel myself in, I'm seeing myself winning that $20,000 prize as I scratch away ~not the $20 one.        Then the let down is so... disappointing .  It's so icky to feel like you've lost, when you've invested time,

What Does Having a Non Profit Business Really Mean? ~Read on to Find Out!

This is a big one; it's a big topic that I'll try to simplify and clarify for the reader as much as possible.      The  Wikipedia  Legal Definition of a nonprofit is a good place to start: a legal entity organized and operated for a collective, public or social benefit, in contrary with an entity that operates as a business aiming to generate a profit for its owners.       That seems pretty clear, right?  -While the basic definition of a nonprofit isn't particularly confusing or convoluted, it somehow lends itself to so many misconceptions, misinterpretations and misunderstandings.       That in and of itself is part of why I wanted to blog on this topic.      So, according to the above definition a nonprofit must exist to serve some positive social purpose, right?   -That is right, but let's not forget that the positive impact of a nonprofit can be highly focused and concentrated on a teeny-tiny fragment of the general population.      Here's an example of that: