Skip to main content

Sweet Pea The Macaw: Her Rescue Journey Begins

We heard about Sweet Pea while we were still on vacation, in late November. 


    Her owners had been tragically killed in a car crash on Thanksgiving Day.  The woman had bought Sweet Pea as a baby Macaw from a breeder in central Ky. 25 years ago.  

    When I spoke with the adult daughter of Sweet Pea's owners, naturally I asked lots of questions. 


    I found out that Sweet Pea's owner, we'll call her Debbie, had bottle-fed Sweet Pea as a baby macaw.  -Just an interesting tidbit. 


     Sweet Pea has chronically plucked her feathers for 20 + years. 


Sweet Pea's first 'portrait' in our home, 4-5 days after her arrival


  

    When we found this out from Debbie's adult daughter, we were nervous.  -Could we take this on? 

    Yes, I do love birds, but the rescue has never had an exotic, large bird, and much-less one with a neurotic-plucking disorder.  I thought on it for a couple of days.  And the same question kept coming up: if we don't take her, who will? 

    Debbie's adult daughters had also left a message for a parrot rescue in Ohio that never got back to them (likely they're overwhelmed). 


    With the support of my husband and almost-8-year-old-son, we said yes to Sweet Pea! 

    My husband drove to Danville, Ky. to get her on December 13th, 2021.  Thankfully we do have a big rescue van (a 2001 Ford Econoline), but Sweet Pea's cage still had to be laid on its side to fit. I couldn't go along with Fabricio that day because I'm on a month-long-substitute-teaching assignment (which is likely a good thing because I would've been a nervous-wreck in regards to the transitional-stress on the bird).


    We were, and still are, fascinated with Sweet Pea.


    When I first saw her, I smiled in awe.  She seemed so big, exotic, and so out of place there in the gray, concrete-floored room off of our garage.  She was only there for the first night, until we could carry her large cage inside the house.  Her pupils were dilating back and forth rapidly; she was taking everything in in amazement too, so many changes in one day!


    Once we got her accommodated in our small home (in the dining room), we felt very optimistic that Sweet Pea would get better and stop plucking. We even believed that she was already getting, and looking better.  -We still aren't sure if this was and is just optimistic thinking, or if we're simply getting used to the way she looks, or if it's that our love for her is growing, or that she's really looking better with the optimal care we're providing... it's likely a bit of all of the above!


    Anyhow,

    -Spraying/showering her with the pluck-no-more spray 3 times/daily

    - Keeping the floor of her cage very clean 

    -Feeding her an ideal diet of: organic nuts, grains, seeds, some pellet, and some fresh, organic fruit and veggies

    -Giving her plenty of daily interaction and attention

    -Taking her to the avian vet one week after her arrival (we're waiting on her cultures now)

    -With a UVA and UVB light on the way per the avian vet's recommendation 

-We felt confident we were helping her get and feel better, so she would stop plucking. 


Sweet Pea in the vet waiting area with Fabricio consoling her



However, over the past few days what I've learned and believe is: for an exotic bird in captivity, plucking becomes a bad habit, much like smoking cigarettes for humans. 


    And what we've observed with Sweet Pea is: we never see her in the act.  She must pluck once she's covered at night or when we're not in the room with her (which isn't very often to be honest, as the dining room and kitchen are the busiest areas of our house). 


    Plucking is an undesirable act, a naughty thing, and with the intelligence of a 4 year old child, Sweet Pea knows that.  Much like some ashamed smokers, she plucks in private, in hiding. 


    This has been a disheartening revelation for me, primarily because, now I know we're dealing with something much more complicated than just 'take great care of her and she'll get better...' as is the case with most dogs we rescue for example.   

    As her vet tech put it, "it's not quite that simple," as providing great care, and whah-lah. -Bummer. 


But it's ok.  I'm very glad we have her.  We're enriching her life, and she's enriching ours (I ate buckwheat for the first time because of her)!  


Sweet Pea's special delivery of organic nuts and seeds

Looking at her is like looking into a portal to the past... to a time of her ancestral dinosaurs.  Hearing her screech out at times, and make her various guttural sounds, also reminds us of the Mesozoic Age. 

    And hearing her say, 'ssshhh' as we cover her up at night is just precious and comical. -She has really bonded with my husband. 


Sweet Pea's first time venturing out of her cage, 11 days after her arrival, on Christmas Eve



    







    We're in it for the long haul with Sweet Pea, for better or for worse; and that's the commitment we make to any pet that comes through the rescue.  -But with Sweet Pea, the haul will definitely be longer than with a dog per se. 


    In technical, simple terms to resume: we're awaiting her culture results from Dr. Mary Jane at Shively, then they'll help us put together an appropriate treatment plan for Sweet Pea (that will likely involve her wearing a cone). 

    

     #GoodVibes and Prayers are Welcome for Sweet Pea, and the rescue in general! Thank You!


Pets, In Your Heart, In Your Home, In Your Will

thepawandfeatherplan.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Did We Get Here? Rescues and Shelters Everywhere Overwhelmed, Beyond Capacity

 Early on in the pandemic, circa summer 2019, an acquaintance reached out to me. "Hola Jessica.  I'm wondering if you have any dog I can foster now.  We're working from home due to the pandemic and I'm in my condo alone all the time." said pseudo-name-Sally .  "Wow, that's incredible Sally that you want to foster now?! -After all these years of me trying to get you to foster here and there, now you're able and willing?! That's great... but believe it or not, we don't have any dog to foster at this very instant.  With Covid, it's like everyone and everyone's brother needs a dog all of the sudden," I shared.  -Lastly I  added that I'd keep her in mind as a foster.  Silly Julie, she's the cutest, right?!      Within a couple of weeks of that phone call, I did find a dog for pseudo-name-Sally to foster, however, by then her boss had 'lent her' her own dog so she wouldn't be so lonely.       ( The last time I saw &#

Give For Good Louisville Annual Fundraiser Recap (GFG Feels A Lot Like Playing the Lottery)

 - And I don't play the lottery.   While I don't judge others for gambling ( most everyone has his or her vices and/or diversions ), I for one don't gamble.       OK, you'll catch me buying a scratch off  maybe twice a year, when I've received birthday money   for example.   And naturally, it's rare that I win.  And when I have won, it's never been for more than $20.00.        That's all fine and well.  It's no big deal, but for the fact that I don't like it.    I'm a very passionate and engaged human being, so it's in my nature to 'go there' quickly and with an almost-pre-conceived notion that, 'I'm gonna win.'   If I'm scratching off for a potential $20,000 grand prize, try as I may to reel myself in, I'm seeing myself winning that $20,000 prize as I scratch away ~not the $20 one.        Then the let down is so... disappointing .  It's so icky to feel like you've lost, when you've invested time,

What Does Having a Non Profit Business Really Mean? ~Read on to Find Out!

This is a big one; it's a big topic that I'll try to simplify and clarify for the reader as much as possible.      The  Wikipedia  Legal Definition of a nonprofit is a good place to start: a legal entity organized and operated for a collective, public or social benefit, in contrary with an entity that operates as a business aiming to generate a profit for its owners.       That seems pretty clear, right?  -While the basic definition of a nonprofit isn't particularly confusing or convoluted, it somehow lends itself to so many misconceptions, misinterpretations and misunderstandings.       That in and of itself is part of why I wanted to blog on this topic.      So, according to the above definition a nonprofit must exist to serve some positive social purpose, right?   -That is right, but let's not forget that the positive impact of a nonprofit can be highly focused and concentrated on a teeny-tiny fragment of the general population.      Here's an example of that: