Skip to main content

Moving to a Nursing Home, Must Re-Home Dog... or Not?


What do you feel, or think, when you read this Facebook post?





This post circulated on Facebook in early February. 


  "Yes I can help," was my initial thought when I saw this (a couple of rescue friends had tagged me).


    It took about 5 seconds for my brain to process the gravity of this post, and for ~what I know to come~ to surface.


    "Often a pet is a senior’s sole companion and when they lose their pet, the senior often goes into a downward spiral and we end up losing the senior not long after the pet is gone," as simply put on hospets.org


    Losing a pet, especially for a senior citizen, can be fatal.

    

    So when I read through some of the comments on this post's thread, seeing only, "I can take the dog," "I pm-ed you," and tagging so-and-so and so-forth, I felt helpless, and at the same time wanted to scream.  


    Hello... is anyone thinking about this lady?! 

    Of course I commented on the thread, mentioning our rescue, saying I'd be glad to help, and that my first order of business would be conversing with this pet owner to try to find a way for her to keep, or at least have visitations, with her beloved dog.  I mentioned some options on the thread but assumed I'd never hear anything back since a few dozen people had already replied, and the post had circulated for a couple of days.  As a matter of fact the nurse that initially shared this even said on the thread that, 'she thought they'd found an owner.' 


    Again I wanted to say... but this dog has an owner, a wonderful, loving owner!


    I'm blogging on this in an attempt to get the word out... if you or someone you know finds yourself in a similar situation, please know that: 

You have options. You have rights. Don't let someone else make this call to give up your pet for you. 


    In the moment it may feel 'easier' in some ways to just find a new home for the dog, especially in this current climate of dogs-in-demand, but believe me when I say, this decision can have long-term, potentially-fatal impacts, for the pet owner and/or the pet.  


    I am not an attorney, and nothing in this blog should be interpreted as legal advice. 

    However, as the owner and primary pet caregiver for The Paw and Feather Plan Inc, I've done some research on these types of cases, and know there are options, legally, that most people may not be aware of:

-Pet Trusts can be funded, and go into effect while you're still alive, per my knowledge.
-Living Wills are a thing too.

    Back to this Facebook post with the elderly lady and her dog, Shane... 

    She could've in essence created a pet trust, designated a pet custodian for Shane to keep him as the custodian's own dog, mandating in the trust that the pet custodian takes Shane to visit her (the owner) x number of times per week. 

    Of course provisions should be made for such care. But this lady may have been able to, and could've been happy to, create a pet trust... could it be that she just wasn't aware of this option? 

    The bond between Shane and his owner is visible in the 2 photos, and what a great handler she is too!  It pains me to think of this woman alone, in a nursing home, without her smart, loyal companion pet.  

    I wish I had an advertising budget to more effectively raise awareness on the importance of pets in planning. But I don't.      So I'm depending on pet-loving people like you to read and share such blogs and content. 

    Please, help me get the word out on the importance of including pets in life and death plans. 

Footnote: I respect the pet-loving nurse that went out of her way to help Shane and Shane's owner.  She could've simply called her local Animal Control... it's clear she's an animal lover.  But all of us need to learn more about our options regarding pets in planning. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give For Good Louisville Annual Fundraiser Recap (GFG Feels A Lot Like Playing the Lottery)

 - And I don't play the lottery.   While I don't judge others for gambling ( most everyone has his or her vices and/or diversions ), I for one don't gamble.       OK, you'll catch me buying a scratch off  maybe twice a year, when I've received birthday money   for example.   And naturally, it's rare that I win.  And when I have won, it's never been for more than $20.00.        That's all fine and well.  It's no big deal, but for the fact that I don't like it.    I'm a very passionate and engaged human being, so it's in my nature to 'go there' quickly and with an almost-pre-conceived notion that, 'I'm gonna win.'   If I'm scratching off for a potential $20,000 grand prize, try as I may to reel myself in, I'm seeing myself winning that $20,000 prize as I scratch away ~not the $20 one.        Then the let down is so... disappointing .  It's so icky to feel like you've lost, when you've invested time,

What Does Having a Non Profit Business Really Mean? ~Read on to Find Out!

This is a big one; it's a big topic that I'll try to simplify and clarify for the reader as much as possible.      The  Wikipedia  Legal Definition of a nonprofit is a good place to start: a legal entity organized and operated for a collective, public or social benefit, in contrary with an entity that operates as a business aiming to generate a profit for its owners.       That seems pretty clear, right?  -While the basic definition of a nonprofit isn't particularly confusing or convoluted, it somehow lends itself to so many misconceptions, misinterpretations and misunderstandings.       That in and of itself is part of why I wanted to blog on this topic.      So, according to the above definition a nonprofit must exist to serve some positive social purpose, right?   -That is right, but let's not forget that the positive impact of a nonprofit can be highly focused and concentrated on a teeny-tiny fragment of the general population.      Here's an example of that:

Not All That Seek to Rehome a Pet... are Willing to Lift a Finger

  Funny title huh? Funny life sometimes, funny people sometimes...      On the same day this week, I had 2 different cat owners reach out to me for assistance with rehoming their respective cats.      The first, a young lady had sent a brief email on Sunday that went like this (literally copied and pasted here):   Help to re-home my mom cat Your message:   Hello my name is Summer and my mom has cancer and no longer can take care of her cat As you may notice, there's no info about the cat, no picture, and no contact number. -So I emailed her back, requesting a pic of the cat, and her phone number. -She sent me the info., and followed up later on Sunday evening, asking when I'd call her. ~So there was an implied sense of urgency to the situation. I nicely responded that I'd call her on Monday morning (I try very hard to not do too much rescue stuff on Sundays) to explain how we could help out in this particular situation. Here's the sweet little kitty On Monda