Skip to main content

Are Lawn Care Products Killing Our Pets?

One evening, while in Miami for vacation, I met up with an old friend I know through pet rescue work.

    It was great spending time with this friend, especially since she radiates joy!

   While catching up, we inevitably stumbled upon the subject of pets.


Yes it looks pretty but so does non-chemically-treated grass


    My friend mentioned that her family had lost their 3 dogs, all to cancer, within months of each other a few years back.  -Clearly this was a devastating blow. 

    "Were you feeding them high-quality food?" I asked. "I must admit, I was giving my dogs 'ok-dog-food' and never had put much thought into what they were eating... until I lost them both to cancer within a year of each other. -My collie mix passed away at age 8, and my shepherd mix at age 9," I added. 

    'Yes, we fed our dogs high quality food, Nature's Recipe Grain Free is what we had always given them.'  
    She added, 'I did some research after they died and narrowed it down to what we were using on our lawns.  I read a lot, and we think that could've been it,' my friend shared.

Jess's bulldog, Blue, R.I.P.

I emphatically agreed.

    As an environmentalist and hater of all-things-Roundup, why hadn't I ever thought of this?!

    It's such a disturbingly obvious connection... dogs spend time outdoors, and oftentimes directly on the grass, unlike humans.

    They roll in the grass, their little paw pads touch the grass; sometimes they even eat the grass.  -And they lick their paws after being on the grass! 

    
    And just because you're not using toxic ingredients on your lawn does not mean your pets are unaffected- you walk your dogs right?


Jess's other dogs that succumbed to cancer, Bella and Sarge, R.I.P.



    Here in Ky.~ springtime's in full in bloom

    Last week I had a dog walk scheduled with a long-time family friend's dog.  This particular family lives in a beautiful, prestigious neighborhood, one with sprawling green lawns, dozens of mature, blossoming dogwoods, spotted with towering oaks, maples and evergreens. 

    But as I walked Stella (we'll call her), I couldn't help but get a whiff of chemicals... of the lawn-care-variety. And I couldn't help but notice those little flags in a couple yards saying "RECENTLY TREATED. KEEP OFF LAWN UNTIL FULLY DRY. KEEP PETS OFF GRASS"

     Dogs don't read so my buddy, Stella, a senior dog, walked on several lawns (none that were wet with chemicals of course).  This made me instantly recall the conversation I'd had a week earlier with my rescue friend.

    Upon returning to Stella's home I wet a paper towel with soap and water and wiped off her paws. 
    
This will be a new ritual of mine post-walks during spring, summer and fall.


Plants can look so pretty with just the 'natural' lawn care agents






Some Science-Based Related Articles:
   



    
Post revised on 01/30/24, didn't check links due to time restraint, sorry! 
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to The Paw and Feather Plan's Blog!

WELCOME TO THE PAW AND FEATHER PLAN'S BLOG!     I am so grateful the seed was planted in my mind to start a blog for my business. It only makes sense since: I love to write and am PASSIONATE about 'my other baby,' The Paw and Feather Plan LLC. Why on earth do I refer to my business as 'my other baby?!'  Because, like a human baby, a business must be nurtured daily in order to grow.  And to nurture a business daily you must be passionate about your business... and that I am! So, this blog is another tool in my toolbox, one I can use to nurture my business by getting the word out about the service we provide!   I also envision it becoming a helpful resource for pet owners on an array of pet-related issues.  I believe wholeheartedly the service we provide is vital for many pet owners and pets, around the country, and around the world. Therefore it's my God-given-duty to spread the word as far and wide as possible about what we do a...

Not All That Seek to Rehome a Pet... are Willing to Lift a Finger

  Funny title huh? Funny life sometimes, funny people sometimes...      On the same day this week, I had 2 different cat owners reach out to me for assistance with rehoming their respective cats.      The first, a young lady had sent a brief email on Sunday that went like this (literally copied and pasted here):   Help to re-home my mom cat Your message:   Hello my name is Summer and my mom has cancer and no longer can take care of her cat As you may notice, there's no info about the cat, no picture, and no contact number. -So I emailed her back, requesting a pic of the cat, and her phone number. -She sent me the info., and followed up later on Sunday evening, asking when I'd call her. ~So there was an implied sense of urgency to the situation. I nicely responded that I'd call her on Monday morning (I try very hard to not do too much rescue stuff on Sundays) to explain how we could help out in this particular situation. Here's the swe...

Should Pure-Bred Puppies Cost More Than Rescue Puppies?

 "$300?! If the Humane Society's charging that much for puppies people will just pay a little more and go buy from a breeder!" While I'm embarrassed to admit it, those words came out of my mouth just a few years ago.     Why did I think that way?      Maybe I was spoiled by our low adoption fees from my time working at the municipal shelter in Miami ($65/dog adoptions, $35/2 for 1 cat adoptions and 1/2 off adoptions every Wednesday).     Maybe I thought a 'non-profit' shouldn't be charging so much, weren't they a charity after all?     Maybe I was sincerely worried a lot of people would say, "If I have to pay that much for a mutt, I might as well go by the purebred (insert your favorite breed) I've always wanted."    I'm a "rescued is my favorite breed" person through and through.  But I know that not everyone is. And that's o.k.  -But it took me a long time to 'get there'; I used to not even be able to befriend...