Skip to main content

How We Stay Busy When We Don't Have Clients!

Intro Note: I'm going thru the rescue's blog posts, revising some along the way.  This blog was initially written in Feb of 2019, just 6 months after I had initiated Paw and Feather Plan.  
Then it was an LLC;  I incorporated as a 501c3 in 2021. 
And for the past 4 years or so, we've been pulling pets from shelters as a rescue opposed to fostering for other rescues. 


~We aren't here twiddling our thumbs waiting for the phone to ring!~ 


My family fosters dogs regularly when we don't have Paw and Feather Plan clients. 

Currently I'm an active authorized foster for the Kentucky Humane Society and Kentucky Mutts Rescue.  I foster more for the latter simply because I have more contact with that rescue's owner; she's very good about messaging me about specific dogs regularly (which naturally makes it harder to resist these precious babies and easier to say, "O.K., I'll take him.")!



When fostering for K.H.S. I prefer to act as an adoption ambassador foster parent.  

As an ambassador you get to be very active in the pet's adoption process: calling potential adopters (KHS gives the foster parent this info as adoption applications come in), setting up meet and greets with potential adopters, then finally meeting the adopter at a local adoption center in one of the Feeder's Supply stores to finalize the adoption via paperwork with a KHS adoption counselor. 


Honey was my 1st KHS adoption ambassador foster dog!


This is a very gratifying experience in that I get to see where the pet will live, and be with my foster pet right up until it finds a suitable forever home.




Claire, a Ky Mutts foster dog, pictured here in our backyard/pavement last month.

With Kentucky Mutts the fostering experience is entirely different. 



KY Mutts is primarily located in Corbin, Ky. (approximately 150 miles southwest of Louisville). 
KY Mutts is a transport rescue for homeless pets across the state.  
It pulls dogs from high kill shelters or ends up with unwanted dogs due to a variety of reasons (owner's death is a common one). 

KY Mutts rescue group works with 6 approved foster-based rescue groups in other states (all northeast of us).

Transports from Corbin, KY to these 6 approved rescues run at least every 14 days.  
Drivers are volunteers.  
KY Mutts needs foster homes for its dogs while they await logistics of transport to their designated rescues.  As you can imagine, it's quite a process.  And honestly, it's miraculous how it all comes together!


Claire, at her new home in upstate IL, enjoying the snow!


When fostering for KY Mutts I know to which rescue my foster dog will go, and am in contact with that rescue, corresponding with photos and info about the dog they'll receive.  
These rescue partners are excellent in that they screen their adopters, do home visits, and have experienced foster homes ready for dogs that aren't adopted right away. 

It's great being part of the dog's adoption process, even though I'm states away! 

Claire's adoption photo in upstate IL.! 


With KY Mutts fosters, out of state rescue partners send me pictures and updates of my foster dog within 24 hours of the dog's arrival. Oftentimes I'm in contact with my foster's new foster mommy or adopter even before my foster dog travels (I'm available if they have any questions for me for example- I always send a letter with my contact info with the dog too). 



With KHS the foster period can last anywhere from a few days to 8 weeks, depending on a pet's medical and behavioral health situation.
With KY Mutts the foster period typically lasts 1-2 weeks.
Both are equally awesome programs.


I've been fostering dogs (and cats every now and then) since 2007! 
It's a vitally important part of my life.
When I met my current life partner in 2010, I was working for Miami Dade Animal Services.
-The first time I went to his studio apartment was to take him a foster puppy (so he knew what he was getting into with me)! 

How else we stay busy:
My life partner has a full time job as a sales rep for a beer distributor. I'm a part time JCPS substitute teacher, an independent dog walker (with the same customer base for nearly 5 years now), and a pet sitter.  Lastly, and most importantly, we're parents to a sweet, smart,  funny 5 year old boy. -Now you know more about us!

If you or anyone you know is interested in becoming a pet foster parent, I'm glad to mentor!


Sincerely,

The Paw and Feather Plan LLC



P.S. Fostering pets for rescue groups is a beautiful labor of love. There is no monetary payment involved.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did We Get Here? Rescues and Shelters Everywhere Overwhelmed, Beyond Capacity

 Early on in the pandemic, circa summer 2019, an acquaintance reached out to me. "Hola Jessica.  I'm wondering if you have any dog I can foster now.  We're working from home due to the pandemic and I'm in my condo alone all the time." said pseudo-name-Sally .  "Wow, that's incredible Sally that you want to foster now?! -After all these years of me trying to get you to foster here and there, now you're able and willing?! That's great... but believe it or not, we don't have any dog to foster at this very instant.  With Covid, it's like everyone and everyone's brother needs a dog all of the sudden," I shared.  -Lastly I  added that I'd keep her in mind as a foster.  Silly Julie, she's the cutest, right?!      Within a couple of weeks of that phone call, I did find a dog for pseudo-name-Sally to foster, however, by then her boss had 'lent her' her own dog so she wouldn't be so lonely.       ( The last time I saw &#

Give For Good Louisville Annual Fundraiser Recap (GFG Feels A Lot Like Playing the Lottery)

 - And I don't play the lottery.   While I don't judge others for gambling ( most everyone has his or her vices and/or diversions ), I for one don't gamble.       OK, you'll catch me buying a scratch off  maybe twice a year, when I've received birthday money   for example.   And naturally, it's rare that I win.  And when I have won, it's never been for more than $20.00.        That's all fine and well.  It's no big deal, but for the fact that I don't like it.    I'm a very passionate and engaged human being, so it's in my nature to 'go there' quickly and with an almost-pre-conceived notion that, 'I'm gonna win.'   If I'm scratching off for a potential $20,000 grand prize, try as I may to reel myself in, I'm seeing myself winning that $20,000 prize as I scratch away ~not the $20 one.        Then the let down is so... disappointing .  It's so icky to feel like you've lost, when you've invested time,

What Does Having a Non Profit Business Really Mean? ~Read on to Find Out!

This is a big one; it's a big topic that I'll try to simplify and clarify for the reader as much as possible.      The  Wikipedia  Legal Definition of a nonprofit is a good place to start: a legal entity organized and operated for a collective, public or social benefit, in contrary with an entity that operates as a business aiming to generate a profit for its owners.       That seems pretty clear, right?  -While the basic definition of a nonprofit isn't particularly confusing or convoluted, it somehow lends itself to so many misconceptions, misinterpretations and misunderstandings.       That in and of itself is part of why I wanted to blog on this topic.      So, according to the above definition a nonprofit must exist to serve some positive social purpose, right?   -That is right, but let's not forget that the positive impact of a nonprofit can be highly focused and concentrated on a teeny-tiny fragment of the general population.      Here's an example of that: